Moz Seeks a Head of Team Happiness to Lead it’s Human Resources Department
- Do you feel most fulfilled when you help other people succeed?
- Is leadership training so natural for you that you have a hard time turning it off for friends and family?
- Are you obsessed with cultivating the human potential that will be needed five years from now?
- Do you pride yourself on your ability to foster a positive and productive business culture?
- Do you secretly kind of love digging into tax regs and HR law?
- When your friends have a problem at work, are you the first person they call for advice and mentoring?
- Do you agree that trying to bar people from watching cat videos at work is a terrible idea?
If yes, then we should meet! Most companies recruit for HR, but we want someone who has a personal sense of responsibility for fostering a happy team. Happy employees do better work. Therefore, it is the paramount duty of leadership to create an company culture that fosters team happiness.
Moz is a profitable startup that creates awesome, market-leading technology that helps people with all of their inbound marketing needs. We are growing quickly, and we’re searching for the right person to become our Head of Team Happiness!
As the VP of People:
You are responsible for growing both the human potential and the TAGFEE culture at Moz.
We’ve got a great foundation, but we need your help planning and preparing for high growth. We believe it is possible to grow quickly without compromising our TAGFEE values.
The best candidate will have experience working in the technology sector, recruiting top talent, managing risk, creating processes that will scale to many hundreds of people, facilitating powerful conversations, mentoring peers, and cultivating an empowering environment. And even when things are challenging, you’ll laugh with us along the way.
- Understand, advocate, and advance our TAGFEE core values, even as Moz grows quickly. TAGFEE = Transparent, Authentic, Generous, Fun, Empathetic, and Exceptional. Cultural fit and values are of the utmost importance at Moz. Our values are outlined in the TAGFEE Tenets, which are required reading for everyone interested in being part of the Moz team. (see http://moz.com/about/tagfee)
- Invigorate Recruiting Efforts. You will lead an awesome team of recruiters to attract and retain brilliant, fun, and effective employees. You will develop a robust network of resources from which you can fill anticipated and identified company staffing needs. You relish the idea of helping us grow quickly while maintaining our established culture, which has made Moz one of the best places to work in Seattle.
- Foster Current Employees’ Growth and Development. You will champion the career planning, professional training, and personal growth needs of company employees.
- Own Employee Benefits Processes. You love to develop and implement best practices related to benefits and compensation programs. You also enjoy dreaming up “soft benefits” and fun events to keep everyone engaged and enthused. Also, you will:
- Tactfully Manage Employee Relations. Fellow mozzers look to you for assistance with their (rare) employment issues, and you are discreet and warm in your response. You manage and resolve complex employee relations challenges in a positive and proactive manner through listening, collecting data, conducting investigations, and providing feedback to managers to ensure appropriate follow through. You also ensure compliance with company values, policy, procedures, and state and federal laws.
- Organizational Planning and Development. You use key HR metrics to evaluate the structure, job design, and personnel resources for the company in order to ensure optimal staffing levels and proactively identify talent needs, issues, and solutions. You will also create plans to address succession planning, workforce development, employee retention, organization design, workflow efficiency, and change management.
- Keep Us on the Straight and Narrow: You will ensure the company fully complies with all applicable employment laws and regulations.
- Culture of volunteerism and charity. Putting the ‘G’ in TAGFEE is everyone’s job, but you nudge us in the right direction through organized volunteer opportunities and other generous initiatives.
- Put the ‘Fun’ in TAGFEE. You bring treats. You will share strange and funny YouTube videos with the rest of the team. You also enjoy bad jokes.
- At least 7 years broad, progressively more complex professional HR experience in high tech, high growth, entrepreneurial organizations.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Infectious positive attitude with other team members and customers.
- Sense of humor and ability to laugh at yourself with your team.
- A healthy mix of analysis, wisdom, experience, diplomacy, and judgment.
- Demonstrated experience creating efficient work flows, simplifying complex processes, and maximizing resources.
- Excellent project management and analytical skills with particular strength in MS Excel and spreadsheet manipulation.
- Track record of exercising strong judgment and maintaining objectivity and discretion with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Drive to build the finest human resources environment possible.
- Strong working knowledge of employment law.
- Experience managing people.
- Expertise in compensation, benefits, employee relations, company culture, coaching, performance management, HRIS, Global HR, Sarbanes Oxley, and recruitment.
- College degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- Passion for technology and the Internet.
- PHR and/or SPHR
- Experience with Workday strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability as a teacher and coach at the executive level
We develop an analytics software product to help people do better marketing. Behind the tool is a sea of Mozzers with a wide array of personalities, experiences, and expertise. We’re a startup with the ability to turn a profit, backed by a passionate community of followers, and with an exciting and hopefully VERY lucrative road ahead.
We’ve worked hard and deliberately to build a cultural roadmap. It’s not just about ping pong games and company parties (though we have those too!)— Learn more about it below before you apply:
Sneak peek at the goodies
- Competitive salary, 401K, stock options
- 21 days off plus 3000 per year towards your vacation!!!
- And so much more (feel free to grill us about the rest in the interview!)